4. I think that this is a duplication of number 2, and the answer to 2 is B.
1. In this excerpt, the writer is trying to give the facts about sugar, its marketing and the results of the production and comercialization of this product a new perspective, especially because it would seem at first as if the consequences of producing and comercializing sugar had not been as good. But in fact, aside from the bad consequences, the writer wants reader to know that there were, also, good results, like the connection of people through this trade. This is why answer is C.
2. This paragraph shows two types of characters; the first one is Adam, who cannot get over the fact that the water holds something he fears and therefore has trouble taking the final step. The second is Laura, who is fearless, even in the face of pain. She also mocks her friend because he cannot face such a small fear and overcome it to have fun. This is why the answer is B.
3. The correct answer is B. This is because what Sunil is doing is first, informing the reader about the conflict, which is, the misunderstanding Americans have on other cultures and countries, like India, and then gives background information so that the reader understands the reason for conflict, which is, the lack of knowledge and the prejudice on the part of Americans towards other cultures they know nothing about.
4. Is the same question as #2.
1.-The story of The Royal House of Thebes tells the story of a Greek hero named Cadmus, one day a bull captures his sister named Europa, his father send his brother to save their sister from the bull. In this excerpt what makes Creon a villain is the fact that:
he ordered placing revenge above sacred duty. He ordered not to bury Polyneices, and he who did it would be put to death. So the answer for question one is:
1.- placing revenge above sacred duty
2.- When writing a comparative essay the best composition order and content is:
2.- hook, summary of the main ideas, analysis of editorials, analysis of biographies, side-by-side comparison of editorials and biographies, thesis statement.
3.- when reading the excerpt presented here, the paragraph develops the characters in the dialogue in this way:
It shows that Adam is afraid of what is in the water, but Laura is fearless and likes to tease him.
He ordered not to bury Polyneices, and he who did it would be put to death.
it makes them seem more in depth
it makes them seem more in depth
showing that Adam is afraid of what is in the water, but Laura is fearless and likes to tease him.
This paragraph develops the characters in the dialogue by showing that Adam is afraid of what is in the water, but Laura is fearless and likes to tease him.
This text is providing characterization by telling the reader how differently the two characters react to their environment in a narrative of events.
Adam is shown as fearful through indirect characterization:"stepped ... carefully;""winced;""nearly screamed."
On the other hand, Laura is directly described by the narrator as someone who "wasn't afraid of anything." Other hints from the text signal to the reader that she is enthusiastic and adventurous:"She was the type to dive off a cliff and not even think about what was in the water below;""it’s so cool!"
Her "scooping a crab into her hand" and bringing it closer to her face is what is interpreted by the narrator as teasing, because Laura is gently mocking his fears by showing how close you can get to what Adam perceives as a danger.
which paragraph? please be specific :)